Large Pearl Tapioca Pudding
Old fashioned tapioca pudding using large pearls. Reminds you of simpler times.
- Prep Time: 7 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 7 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- 1/2 cup large tapioca pearls
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place tapioca pearls in a bowl and fill with water.
- Stir the tapioca around and drain.
- Refill the bowl with water and allow to sit for at least 7 hours and up to overnight.
- Drain the tapioca and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan mix milk and 3/4 cup of the sugar.
- Over medium heat, bring milk and sugar to a simmer.
- When little bubbles start forming around the edges of the pan, add the tapioca.
- Continue to simmer for 25 minutes, or until tapioca balls are mostly clear, stirring frequently.
- In a bowl, combine eggs and remaining 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Temper the eggs by mixing small amounts of the hot milk, sugar, and tapioca mixture until half of the hot mixture has been incorporated.
- Add egg mixture to pan and stir well.
- Bring to a boil and stir constantly for 2 minutes or until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill.
Can be made with less sugar, this will affect provided nutritional information.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 274
- Sugar: 44.1 g
- Sodium: 72 mg
- Fat: 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 52.2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 74 mg