Pecan Coconut Cream Candies, aka Martha Washington’s, are one of the very first candy recipes I ever made way back when I was a teenagers. Perfect for beginners and those who are searching for some nostalgia from their early years.
There are many variations of pecan coconut cream candies around the world. Some are soft and gooey, some are more solid, like mine.
You can change up the amount of powdered sugar to suit your preference. If you like yours softer, start with half of the powdered sugar called for. Add more sugar a few tablespoons at a time and taste the filling.
Feel free to add any flavorings you might like with coconuts and pecan. Coconut extract, rum extract, and butter extract are all variations I have tried. We just find ourselves back at the original more often than not.
The only real rule I have for this recipe is to use smaller pecan pieces. I buy pecan chips when I make this recipe, but in a pinch you can always run larger pecan pieces through the blender or food processor until the pecan are small, about the size of the pecan you find in store bought pecan sandies.
You can also do the same with your coconut if you find the pieces are fairly long. If you don’t make your coconut shorter, it will still be fine and will still taste great.Print
Pecan Coconut Cream Candies
Recipe for easy cream candy filled with coconut and pecans. Akin to Martha Washington’s.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 50 Candies
- Category: Candy
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan chips
- 2 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 16 ounces milk chocolate candy bars, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 block edible paraffin wax, chipped into small pieces, I use Gulf Wax
- Add melted butter, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla to a bowl.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Add coconut and pecans.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Add powdered sugar.
- Mix until no dry powdered sugar is visible.
- Roll in balls about the size of large grapes.
- Place onto a plate or baking sheet.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to chill for at least an hour.
- Add chopped chocolate and paraffin wax to the top of a double boiler.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth.
- Alternately, you can melt chocolate and paraffin in the microwave using half power at 30 second intervals, mixing in between 30 second zap in the microwave.
- When chocolate is melted and smooth, remove balls from the refrigerator and set near your work space.
- Lay out parchment paper, wax paper, or a cooling rack near your work space.
- Dip balls into chocolate, turning to cover entirely with chocolate.
- Remove from chocolate and place onto your paper or rack.
- Allow chocolate to set completely before moving.
Drained, dried, chopped maraschino cherries can be added.
- Serving Size: 1 Candy
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 21.9 g
- Sodium: 44 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.5 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 11 mg
Some of Our Other Favorite Snack Sized Sweet Treats