Won Ton Soup
Easy to make Won Ton Soup with Pork Filled Won Tons.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Asian
- 8 cups good quality chicken broth
- 1 can condensed chicken broth
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup good quality beef stock or beef broth
- 12 ounces whole mushrooms, more can be used if desired
- 6 whole water chestnuts
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 packages square wonton wrappers
- Add both chicken broths and beef stock to a large pan and set heat to medium low.
- Once broth begins to simmer, set heat to allow soup to continue cooking at a slow simmer.
- Place pork in a mixing bowl.
- Add sesame oil, soy sauce, and white pepper. Mix well.
- In a food processor, blender, or by hand, finely mince the water chestnuts and add to the pork mixture.
- Repeat with 8 large white mushrooms. Save remainder of mushrooms to thinly slice and use as garnish when soup is finished.
- Slice 3 greens onions, both white and all of the green parts, very thin and mince as you would garlic, or use a food processor. Add to the pork mixture. Mix well.
- Fill wonton wrappers with 1/2 teaspoon fillings.
- Wet edges and seal in desired shape.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Thinly slice remaining mushrooms and set aside.
- Thinly slice remaining green onions and set aside.
- Once all wontons are formed, place in refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Once ready to prepare soup, taste broth. If it has become too salty from simmering, add water a cup at a time until desired salt level is achieved.
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Gently add wontons to soup.
- Allow broth to come back to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium low.
- Continue simmering until won ton begin to float.
- Once wontons float, allow them to simmer another minute or two.
- Taste a wonton to make sure that the wrapper is cooked through and no longer doughy.
- Continue simmering until wontons are done.
- Ladle soup in to bowls and top with thinly sliced mushrooms and green onions.
Nutritional calculators may vary. Please check your favorite one if dietary information is vital.
- Serving Size: 1 cup broth & 10 won tons
- Calories: 621
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 1593 mg
- Fat: 16.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 89 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 33 g
- Cholesterol: 76 mg