Fried Butterfly Shrimp
Easy recipe for Crunchy Fried Butterfly Shrimp. Butterflying shrimp makes more surface area for the best part, the crunchy and crispy coating. Serve with cocktail sauce and lemon wedges for the perfect plate.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 to 4 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 pound large Shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- Oil for deep frying
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, set aside.
- In another shallow bowl whisk eggs with 1/3 cup of water, set aside.
- Mound some Panko bread crumbs onto a plate, set aside.
- On another plate, sprinkle a light coating of panko and set aside.
- Carefully cut shrimp along the back and lay it open, be careful not to cut all the way through the shrimp.
- Coat shrimp in flour, shaking to remove excess flour.
- Dip shrimp into egg, allowing excess egg to drip back into egg bowl.
- Place egg coated shrimp into panko bread crumbs, cover with panko and press lightly, making sure all shrimp is covered with panko.
- Place coated shrimp onto plate that was sprinkled with panko.
- Continue coating shrimp, adding panko to the plate as needed. You may need to use all 4 cups of panko, depending on the size of shrimp and thickness of egg wash left on shrimp.
- Once all shrimp have been coated and placed on the plate, place plate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 5 hours.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a medium size pan over medium high heat until oil sizzles when a few panko crumbs are tossed in pan.
- Fry shrimp in hot oil until shrimp are golden brown. Do not overcook, it will make the shrimp tough.
- Serve hot with cocktail sauce and lemons.
Nutritional data assumes there are 30 shrimp per pound and 1 teaspoon flour, breadcrumbs and oil remain on each individual shrimp. Nutritional data will vary greatly in this recipe depending on oil temperature and amount of oil retained during cooking.
- Serving Size: 5 shrimp
- Calories: 453
- Sugar: 1.4 g
- Sodium: 385 mg
- Fat: 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 21.1 g
- Cholesterol: 201 mg