Sausage and Sauerkraut Recipe
Easy dinner recipe made with smoked sausage cooked in sauerkraut and naturally sweetened with apples. Can be cooked on the stovetop or in a crock pot.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
- 14 to 16 ounces Kielbasa or other smoked sausage sliced into 1/2-inch slice
- 32 ounces sauerkraut refrigerated or canned
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 slice bacon cut into fine pieces
Brown the sausage slices over medium-high heat if desired.
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, slow cooker, or electric skillet and set to low heat.
Set heat to low.
Cook on low heat, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed to keep 1/4 inch of liquid on the bottom of the cooking vessel, for 2 hours when using the stovetop or electric skillet, 4 hours when using a slow cooker or until most of the apples have melted and the sauerkraut has turned a bit darker.
Remove from the heat and serve.
Promptly refrigerate any leftovers.
- Any smoked sausage can be used, kielbasa is my favorite.
- When using any raw pork product such as bratwurst or pork roast, cook until the meat has an internal temperture of 160ºF.
- Bacon can be omitted.
- Sliced apple can be omitted.
- Add up to 2 tablespoons of brown sugar for a sweeter sauerkraut.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 377kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 2377mg | Potassium: 608mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 41IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 4mg