French Onion Soup
Steaming bowls of caramelized onions in a rich beef broth topped with toasted bread pieces and melted cheese. Making restaurant-quality French Onion soup is easy. No alcohol needed in this one!
Prep Time2 hrs 15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Additional Time10 mins
Total Time3 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 4 Bowls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large onions sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup apple cider DO NOT USE VINEGAR, apple cider is found near the apple juice in stores
- 1 can Campbells condensed beef consommé or beef broth
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons beef base optional – suggest using it if not using homemade beef stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 6 1- inch Baguette slices more may be required if baguette is thin
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese about 4 ounces
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese about 4 ounces
Heat olive oil and butter in electric skillet set to 200 Degrees f.
Add onions and cover, cook for 20 minutes.
Stir, Cook for an additional 20 minutes covered.
Stir, remove cover and cook another 20 minutes.
As onions begin to brown stir every 5 to 10 minutes until all the onions are golden brown. Depending on how many onions being used, this could take up to 2 hours.
Add apple cider and simmer until apple cider has evaporated.
Add 1 tablespoon flour and cook for 2 minutes.
Add 2 cups water, beef broth, beef base, if using and thyme.
Continue simmering soup for at least 30 minutes.
While soup is simmering, slice baguette into ½ inch slices and place under a broiler and broil until light brown, set aside.
Mix mozzarella cheese and gruyere cheese together and set aside.
When soup is done, ladle into oven safe bowls.
Add toasted bread slices, toasted side down onto the soup.
Add the cheese to the top of the bread and place into a 400°F oven and bake until the cheese is melted.
- Beef broth and base can be substituted with homemade broth, chicken broth, and vegetable broth.
- DO NOT USE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR as a substitute for apple cider. Unsweetened apple juice can be used or apple juice with about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar added can be used instead.
Serving: 1Bowl | Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.2g | Protein: 17.8g | Fat: 18.8g | Saturated Fat: 8.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 1212mg | Fiber: 3.8g | Sugar: 10.4g