Last Updated on
Candy Acorns are a cute edible addition to the kids’ table at holiday meals.
They also make nice finishing touches to pumpkin pies and many other fall desserts.
The flavor can be changed by changing the flavor of chips used for the end of the acorn, as well as changing the flavor of the candy kisses use for the big portion of this decoration.
I have seen these made with milk chocolate kisses and pumpkin spice kisses.
I used caramel filled kisses for mine and butterscotch chips for the ends as well as the “glue” to hold it all together.
You can use mini peanut butter filled cookies or mini vanilla wafers like I did.
Either way, they are delicious. Since I was using butterscotch chips, I chose to use the mini wafer.
If I were to use the mini peanut butter cookies, I would probably try and find some peanut butter chips, as well as peanut butter, filled kisses, just to keep the flavors somewhat similar.
But hey, if you like the sound of peanut butter mixed with butterscotch go right ahead and use it!
Candy acorns are something that the kids can even help make with minimal adult supervision.
- 1 bag chocolate kisses any flavor you would like
- 1 box mini vanilla wafers or mini peanut butter filled cookies
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or cooking oil
- Unwrap as many kisses as you would like to make as candies. Set aside.
- Remove cookies from the box, set aside as many unbroken whole cookies as you have kisses. Set aside.
- In a small bowl. Add 1/2 of the baking chips and the coconut oil.
- Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between cycles until chocolate is melted.
- Using a toothpick or the thin end of a chopstick, add melted baking chips to the flat side of a cookie and attach the flat end of a kiss to the cookie.
- Set the cookie, kiss side up.
- Allow to cool until chocolate is set and kisses are not easily removed from the cookie.
- If melted baking chips have gotten hard, just microwave again using the above method.
- Again, using a toothpick or thin chopstick end, add chocolate to the cookie side opposite of the kiss side. You will need much less baking chip glue, attach an un-melted baking chip.
- Gently lay the candy acorn on its side and allow to cool.
- Once cool, use as decorations or place into a bowl for snacking.