Chocolate Chip Biscotti is a simple cookie recipe that is double-baked to get the most delicious, crispy treats. These are based on the classic biscotti recipe, a dry Italian cookie that is perfect for serving alongside hot beverages. We love them even more with the addition of chocolate chips.
Everyone loves a chocolate chip cookie but this recipe is just a little different. It is easy to make and you use common ingredients that we all usually have around the house. Plus you can melt some chocolate and dip them partially in it for that half-covered effect.
What makes biscotti crunchy?
Biscotti are known for being crunchy but this isn’t down to special ingredients but the baking process. They are a twice or double-baked recipe where you cook the log and then cook the slices to get that crunchy texture. It takes a little longer than other types of cookies but is definitely worth it!
- Salted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Almond extract, optional
- Vanilla extract
- Large eggs
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Mini chocolate chips
You can use any kind of baking chips in the recipe that you like so try mixing up different types of chocolate for different flavors.
You can also add different add-ins but make sure you keep the total to 2 to 2 ½ cups in total. A great combination is cranberries and pistachios for a Christmas Biscotti.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Biscotti
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and add parchment paper to a baking sheet or use some baking spray.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a bowl until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, making sure they are thoroughly mixed.
- Add the almond and vanilla extracts and mix again.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder in another bowl then mix into the batter.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until they are evenly distributed.
- Place the cookie dough into a rough log shape on the baking sheet and form into two logs 9 inches long by 2 inches wide.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes until the edges of the log start to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes while reducing the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Use a bread or serrated knife to cut the log into 1 inch thick slices and place these on the cookie sheet, cut side facing downwards.
- Bake for another 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. You can store them in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
If you find the biscotti log crumbles when you go to cut it, lightly mist it with some water and leave it to sit for 2-3 minutes. Then try again.
If you prefer crispier cookies, leave them in the oven for another 15 minutes.
Can you freeze biscotti?
You can freeze biscotti once they have completely cooled. Pop them on a cookie sheet or plate and put them in the freezer. Once it is completely frozen, you can store them in freezer bags. You can always pop some parchment paper between them to make sure they don’t stick together.
What can you do about soft biscotti?
There’s nothing worse than going for cookies and coffee only finding they have gone a bit soft. But with this chocolate chip biscotti recipe, it is easy to make them crisper again. Pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 300°F and they will be just as good as when you first cooked them.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU’RE FRIENDS AND FAMILY WILL LOVE
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
Chocolate Chip Biscotti
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with parchment paper, a silicone baking sheet, or spraying with baking spray
- Combine the butter and sugar in a bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one a time, mixing to combine well after adding each one.
- Add the almond extract, if using, and the vanilla, mix well.
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and add to the batter.
- Mix just until incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.
- Place the cookie dough into a rough log shape on the prepared baking sheet and form into 2 logs about 9-inches long by 2-inches wide.
- Place the dough log into the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges of the log start to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- Using a bread knife, or another serrated knife, cut the cookie log into 1-inch-thick slices.
- Place each slice back on the cookie sheet, cut side down.
- Bake the biscotti slices for an additional 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before storing. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
For crispier cookies, increase the second baking time by 15 minutes.
To freeze baked cookies – cool completely, then freeze individually on a cookie sheet or plate. Once frozen, remove from the cookie sheet and place into a freezer container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Any kind of baking chips can be used.
You can add any add-ins you like, just keep the total add-ins to 2 to 2 1/2 cups total. We love dried cranberries and pistachios for Christmas Biscotti.
Biscotti that have gone soft can be crisped up by placing into a 300°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.