Grab your Instant Pot for this simple comfort food recipe that the whole family will love! Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers is perfect on those chilly evenings when you want something filling but also tasty. We make it with Italian sausage for extra flavor.
This easy Instant Pot recipe uses just one pot to create a delicious recipe to serve as it is. Or you can easily adapt it to make a warm sandwich filling. That also means fewer dishes to do when you’ve finished and that’s always a huge bonus.
What you’ll need to make Instant Pot Sausages and Peppers:
- Light olive oil
- Italian Sausage
- Bell peppers
- Chopped garlic
- Tomato sauce
- Red wine (optional but tasty!)
You can add more sausage links if you want. Just brown them in batches to ensure they are cooked properly.
Any color of bell peppers works in this recipe. If you want both the peppers and onions to have a stronger flavor, skip the sauté step.
Looking for a stovetop alternative to this? Check out my Stovetop Italian Sausage Peppers and Onions instead!
How to make Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Turn on the Instant Pot and use the Saute setting, adjust the temperature to high if you can.
- Add the olive oil and let it heat up for 5-10 minutes then add the sausages and brown on both sides.
- Remove them once browned and pop to one side.
- Add the peppers and onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until they soften. Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes.
- If using, add the red wine and cook for about 1 minute. Scrape the bottom of the pot to capture all those tasty browned bits.
- Turn off the pressure cooker and add the tomato sauce, stirring to combine. Add the peppers and onions then place the sausages on top.
- Seal the pot with the lid and set steam to vent.
- Put the pressure cooker on high (or meat if you have that setting) and set the timer for 7 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes to come to full pressure.
- Allow a natural release for 10 minutes then move the steam vent to the vent setting to release the rest and remove the lid once done.
If you want to add red wine, it definitely enhances the flavor but you don’t have to. My favorite for the recipe is Chianti but any good red will do.
How to make Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches
You can easily transform the recipe into an Italian sausage and pepper sandwich. Let the sausages cool for a few minutes then slice diagonally.
Add them back into the pot with the peppers and onions and set to sauté. Heat the sausages back up and serve on hoagie rolls with the peppers and onions on top.
Finish with some cheese that melts for the perfect sandwich.
Just like you can do with Italian meatballs but with sausages instead!
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 5 links Italian Sausage
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 3 large bell peppers stems and seeds removed, then sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine optional
- Turn on the pressure cooker and set it to sauté, using the high function if it has one.
- Add the olive oil to the pot and allow it to heat up for 5 to 10 minutes or until it’s hot.
- Once the pot is hot, add the sausages and brown on both sides.
- When the sausage links are brown, remove them from the pot and set them aside.
- Add the peppers and onion to the pot and sauté, stirring occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes or until they just start to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine, and allow o cook for about a minute, making sure to scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the pressure cooker and add the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Place the sausages on top of the peppers and onions.
- Seal the pot with the lid and make sure to set the steam vent to steam.
- Set the pressure cooker to high, or meat setting if it has one, and set the timer for 7 minutes. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes for the pressure cooker to come to full pressure.
- Allow the cooker to natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Carefully move the steam vent to vent and allow the pot to de-pressurize completely before removing the lid.
- More sausage links can be used, you may have brown them in batches.
- Any color of bell peppers can be used. If you want your peppers and onions to have more bite, skip the sauté step.
- My preferred red wine is Chianti, you can use any red wine or skip it.
- To make Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches, allow the sausage to cool for a few minutes, then slice on the diagonal. Add the sausage back to the pot with the peppers and onion and set to sauté. Allow the sausages to heat back up and serve on hoagie rolls with the peppers and onions topped with cheese.