Easy recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake with a pineapple flavored cake batter features caramelized pineapples and cherries. It looks harder than it is! When making the best pineapple upside down cake is this easy, we almost feel bad calling this a recipe! Almost!
PAN SIZE FOR PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
We make ours in a 9 X 13 pan so that there is higher caramelized pineapple and cherry topping to cake ratio.
This recipe can easily be made in two 8-inch round pans. If you want a thicker cake you could use a 9-inch round or square pan and that pan 2/3 full of cake batter.
For one round pan, reduce the sugar and butter by half. Even more, if you want a thinner topping. See the tips for success below.
Use the rest of the cake batter for pineapple cupcakes. Top them with pineapple buttercream.
FRESH PINEAPPLE OR CANNED PINEAPPLE
I prefer using the canned pineapple because one of the ingredients for my cake is pineapple juice.
To use fresh pineapple, it will need to be peeled and cored then sliced into rings about 3/4-inch thick, about the same thickness as canned pineapple.
CAN I USE PINEAPPLE THAT ISN’T CUT INTO RINGS?
Yep! Tidbits would be my second choice because they are really just pieces cut from pineapple rings. Pineapple chunks are a bit too big in my opinion. However, if you love pineapple go on and use them!
Crushed pineapple can also be used, just be sure to drain it well. Too much liquid will prevent the butter and brown sugar from caramelizing in the pan.
DO I HAVE TO START WITH A BOX MIX?
No, but I always do. I think adding a buttery pineapple and cherry topping and replacing the water called for on the box with pineapple juice make a great doctored box cake!
The box mix can be replaced with any white or yellow cake mix recipe you like. It just won’t be the easiest pineapple upside down cake you have ever made!
I would replace whatever water is called for with pineapple juice. It adds a nice flavor.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS WHEN MAKING PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
- The butter and brown sugar in our recipe can be reduced by half for less of a topping. I don’t really recommend this.
- Spray the pan with baking spray even though you are going to be melting the butter right in the pan.
- Do not allow the cake to cool for longer than 5 minutes before inverting or the caramelized topping may stick to the pan. If it does, all is not lost, gently remove any stuck fruit from the bottom of the pan and replace them on the top of the cake where they came from. Taking photos prior to inversion is not recommended! It takes too long!
- Invert the cake onto a sheet pan that has sides. Sometimes, the topping runs over the cake!
- Two 20-ounce cans of pineapple rings can be used to get more pineapple coverage. It will take about 1 1/2 cans of pineapple to completely cover a 9 X 13 cake. We don’t mind less pineapple because the cake is still pineapple flavored. Honestly, it’s me that doesn’t mind. I pick off the fruit anyway!
MORE EASY CAKE RECIPES
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 20-ounce can pineapple slices
- White cake
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 12 Maraschino cherries, more if desired
- Preheat an oven to 350⁰F.
- Place butter into a 9 X 13 cake pan and place the pan into the preheating oven.
- Remove the pan when the butter has melted.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the melted butter in the pan.
- Open the pineapples and reserve the pineapple juice from the can.
- Place the pineapple rings evenly over the brown sugar mix.
- Remove stems from cherries, if any, and place a cherry into the center of each pineapple ring. More cherries can be added as desired.
- Prepare the cake mix replacing the water called for with pineapple juice. Use the other ingredients as called for. Most white box mixes call for 1/3 cup oil, 3 egg whites, and 1 cup of water. If there is not enough pineapple juice from the can, add enough water to equal the amount called for on the box.
- Gently pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries in the pan and smooth the batter out.
- Place the cake into the preheated 350⁰F oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it rest for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter.
If the cherries and or pineapple stick to the bottom of the pan, remove them and place them on top of the inverted cake where they once were, with the darker side up. It will still taste delicious!
- Royal Harvest Nature's Maraschino Cherries With Stems, 72 Ounce
- Pillsbury Traditional Cake Mix, Vanilla, 15.25 Ounce (Pack of 12)
- DOLE Pineapple Slices in 100% Pineapple Juice 20 oz. Can
- Nordic Ware Classic Metal 9x13 Covered Cake Pan
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 348 Total Fat: 16.2g Saturated Fat: 6.5g Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 100mg Carbohydrates: 49.5g Fiber: 0.4g Sugar: 33.8g Protein: 2.7g