Recipe for Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder is a welcome addition to any table on those chilly nights when your bones need warming. Quick to the table and satisfying.
Spicy Chicken Corn ChowderThis is a recipe that Sam and I have been doctoring and tweaking for years. It’s a cheese spicy soup that’s prefect for those nights you want something warm and spicy.
Believe it or not, it actually gets cold in Mississippi.
Once temperatures dip below 60°, people start pulling out their super thick winter coats and women pull out their ugly ugg boots.
You would swear everyone around here is preparing to climb Mt. Everest.
Even though I don’t share the low tolerance of Mississippian’s cold weather, I do love a nice bowl of hot Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder on a cool or chilly day. Especially while watching college football.
This Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder recipe is super easy and super tasty. It features chicken, corn, and cheese. How can it get any better than that.
We have experimented with a variety of cheeses, but our favorite cheeses are what we have listed in the recipe.
Also, feel free to omit the cayenne if you don’t want it spicy. Add more if you want it hotter.
I typically make the recipe as is and then sprinkle in my cayenne in my own bowl. My wife doesn’t like a super spicy recipe. Anyways, I hope you enjoy the recipe and be sure to give it a go this fall.
MORE COMFORT FOOD RECIPES
Spicy Chicken Corn Chowder
- 1/2 medium size yellow onion diced
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream style corn
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained
- 2 cans diced potatoes drained
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz Monterrey jack cheese shredded
- 4 oz pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a medium sized pot (or 5-6 quart dutch oven) over medium heat.
- Add about a tablespoon of vegetable oil and saute the onions until just starting to turn translucent.
- Add the chicken and cook until starting to turn brown, then add the cumin.
- Add 2 to 4 cups of the chicken broth, making sure chicken is covered and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the cream style corn, the whole kernel corn, and the potatoes
- Simmer until all ingredients are heated through.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a bare simmer.
- Add the cheeses a small handful at a time and incorporate each handful before adding more.
- Add the cayenne if desired and taste for salt.