Giant bakery style chocolate chip cookies are an indulgent and delicious treat. They are a classic favorite that is loved by so many, both young and old alike. Baked to perfection with its crisp outer edges and chewy centers, it’s no surprise that giant chocolate chip cookies have captivated cookie lovers everywhere.
This jumbo chocolate chip cookie starts with an incredibly simple base: butter, sugar, eggs, flour, and vanilla extract.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The key to achieving the perfect taste lies in the quality of ingredients – butter, not margarine, is essential for the richness of flavor. Quality vanilla extract adds a creamy sweetness. But what really makes a jumbo chocolate chip cookie special? It’s all about the chocolate chips! Whether you use semi-sweet chips or milk chocolate chips or a combination of both, every bite will be filled with sweet richness.
To make bakery-style chocolate chip cookies, you will need some basic ingredients such as butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and of course, chocolate chips.
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Salted butter, softened
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
Chocolate Chips I Use
No matter which kind of chocolate chips you use, buy the best qualify you can. I try to buy Ghirardelli or Guittard.
Semi-sweet chocolate chips – chocolate chunks or mini chocolate chips can be used as a substitute for all or part of the chocolate chips in this recipe.
Milk chocolate chips – I always add half milk chocolate chips to all of my chocolate chip recipes. I find it cuts through some of the bitterness and I always have people tell me it is the best chocolate chip whatever it is. The usually don’t believe me that it’s the only difference.
Chocolate chunks – I have only seen these as semi-sweet or dark chocolate. Cookies made with chocolate chunks will take longer to cool down, so give these extra time before storing or placing into treat bags.
Mini chocolate chips – using mini chocolate chips for a portion of the chocolate in any chocolate chip cookie recipe will ensure a bit of chocolate in each bite.
How to Make Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
Making bakery style chocolate chip cookies has never been easier. This recipe does not require chilling first.
- To start, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with parchment paper.
- In a separate bowl whisk together 4 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of softened salted butter, 1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar, and 1 1/4 cups of brown sugar to a mixing bowl and combine until it is light, creamy, and fluffy.
- Next, add in 2 eggs, one at a time, and beat until they are well incorporated into the mixture.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract and mix to combine completely.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the cookie dough and mix just until everything is fully combined.
- Repeat with the remaining flour mixture.
- Lastly, fold in one cup of milk chocolate chips and one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips into the dough mixture until evenly distributed throughout the cookies.
- Scoop out 1/3 cup portions of cookie dough onto your prepared baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper. I use a number 12 cookie scoop. Using this size will produce 18 giant cookies.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Once baked allow them to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes then move them to a cooling rack.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before stacking or storing.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until the sugar crystals start to get smaller in size. You want light, fluffy, and creamy. This takes around 2 minutes with my stand mixer.
- Don’t overmix the dough once the flour has been added. Overmixed dough results in tough cookies.
- This is a thicker cookie dough than you may be used to. The chocolate chips may need to be stirred in by hand if your mixer is struggling.
- Make sure you leave at least 2 inches between cookies when baking, they will spread out a bit. I only bake 6 cookies at a time on my 14 X 17.5 cookie sheets.
- Using a scoop will ensure your cookies are shaped evenly. Cookies that are the same size and shape prior to baking will be the same size and shape after baking.
- If you only have 1 or 2 cookies sheets, allow the sheets to cool completely before adding cookie dough to them. This prevents excessive spreading of the cookies.
- This recipe can be used to make smaller cookies. Reduce baking time to 10-11 minutes.
- If you want super chocolatey gooey chocolate chip cookies use up to 3 cups of chocolate chips or chunks.
These jumbo bakery-style cookies can be stored in an airtight container and will stay fresh for 3 to 4 days.
For longer storing, freeze the cookies. They will stay fresh for about 3 months. Allow them to come to room temperature before eating.
I love carrying these cookies to work and giving them as take-home gifts whenever we have a party.
These cookies fit into 5X7 sealable goodie bags. You may be able to get away with 4X6 bags, but every once in awhile my cookies spread more than expected and they seem to rip the sides of the smaller bags.
I buy the assortment pack from amazon, so I always have a couple of different sizes and makes it convenient for me to have the right size for whatever I’ve baked.
Wait until the cookies are completely cooled before adding them to the bags. If you add them too soon, the chocolate will smudge the bags and make your cookies stale too soon.
Once the cookie bags have been sealed you can put them into a freezer zip top baggie and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS
Jumbo Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups 3 sticks of salted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare 3 large or 4 small baking sheets by covering with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter and sugars and beat until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each is added. Scrape down the mixing bowl if necessary.
- Add the vanilla and mix until everything is well combined.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix it in until there are no white steaks left.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and combine just until the flour has been absorbed.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix just until the chocolate chips have been evenly distributed.
- Scoop 1/3 cups of dough and place onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or just until the cookies no longer look wet on the top and the tops have started to just lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies to a baking rack to continue cooling completely.
- Once the cookies have been cooled they can be stored in an air-tight container.
Leave a Reply