Everyone needs an easy go to Holiday treat recipe. One that requires minimal ingredients and minimal time to make. Peppermint Crunch fits that bill.
It only has 3 ingredients. 4 ingredients if you decide to add peppermint flavoring to either chocolate layers.
Just like spiced crackers, this recipe makes great hostess gifts. It cost a bit more than crackers, but who doesn’t love chocolate and peppermint during the holidays. This is probably why we gain up to 5% of our weight over the holidays. I don’t deny that nuts, caramel, and cinnamon flavored treats are part of the problem.
This recipe can be altered by changing the candies on the top and using a complementary flavoring oil in either chocolate layer. Food gels made for chocolate or candy melts can also be added to the white layer. There are even colored candy melts available in almost every color imaginable these days, any one of those could be substituted for the white layer as well.
Some combinations I have tried are spearmint candies with a green light layer for St. Patrick’s Day, and cherry flavoring with a pinkish light layer for Valentine’s Day. Make this with any flavoring and color combination you think would work.Print
Peppermint Crunch, quick and easy dark chocolate and peppermint holiday candy.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 16 Candy pieces
- Category: Candy
- Method: Microwave
- 8 ounces milk, dark, or semi-sweet chocolate, suitable for melting
- 12 ounces almond bark, or white chocolate suitable for melting
- Peppermint flavored candy oil, optional
- 14 peppermint candies, crushed
- Place a large piece of non-stick foil on a workspace. 16 inches or more is ideal.
- Melt milk, dark, or semi-sweet chocolate.
- Once chocolate is smooth and has no lumps, remove from heat.
- Pour onto non-stick foil and spread into fairly thin and even layer. I usually go 8 inches by 12 inches.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Melt white chocolate or almond bark.
- Once smooth with no lumps, remove from heat and add a few drops of candy flavoring if using.
- Carefully pour the white over the dark. Try not to pour too much into one area of the darker chocolate or it will melt the bottom.
- Carefully spread the white chocolate with a knife, trying not to press too hard to keep from swirling the layers together. Spread as evenly as possible.
- While top layer is still wet, add crushed peppermint candies on top.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut or break into pieces.
- Cutting will give smooth lines. When cutting, I save the uneven edges for adding to hot chocolate.
Nutritional data provided for quick reference. Recipe calculators vary, so please check your favorite analyzer for vital details.
- Serving Size: 1 ounce
- Calories: 114
- Sugar: 11.4 g
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Fat: 6.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 0.85 g
- Cholesterol: 1 g
Other Holiday Treats to Try: