Classic Sweet Potato Pie is a Thanksgiving favorite and is often seen on the table after the turkey has made its appearance. But it is one of those desserts that can work at any time of the year.
A pie with sweet potatoes is a lot like a pumpkin pie. Made with ‘savory’ ingredients, it is still sweet and tasty. Adding sugar, spice, and everything nice gives the potatoes a totally different flavor.
How is this recipe different from traditional sweet potato pie?
This sweet potato pie is made with condensed milk and that’s the main difference. Most recipes will use milk in it but we have found that condensed milk makes it set better and ensures a super-rich and delicious pie. Be warned, you may want to eat just one slice at a time as it is very rich!
- 9-inch pie shell
- Mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Large eggs
- Brown sugar
- Ground ginger
You can use canned yams or sweet potatoes for the recipe. Make sure they are well-drained. Warm the yams in the microwave before any butter is added.
If you do use canned potatoes, they will usually result in a wetter filling. That’s okay but make sure you adjust the baking time a bit to give them longer to cook. If the edges show signs of browning, wrap with some foil so they don’t get too hard and brown.
How to make Sweet Potato Pie
- Preheat an oven to 350⁰F then place the pie crust in the pie pan.
- Grab a large mixing bowl and combine the sweet potatoes with the butter and mix until creamy. See the notes below for tips on cooking sweet potatoes for a pie.
- Add the condensed milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and place it on a baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted between the pie center and the edge comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and cool for a few minutes before you serve.
To prepare the sweet potatoes, bake in the oven at 425⁰ F for 40-50 minutes until a fork easily inserts in the middle and comes out. Leave them to cool for 15 minutes then peel them and you are ready to make the pie.
How can you make bourbon sweet potato pie?
If you want to upgrade the sweet potato pie, you can add ¼ cup of bourbon to the mix. Make sure you adjust the cooking time a little as it will need a few minutes more to cook the mixture as it will be a little wetter than the original version.
What toppings can you add to the pie?
When you make sweet potato pie with condensed milk, it is already very rich! But you can add some toppings if you like.
Pecans and mini marshmallows are our favorites. We add them about 15 minutes before the pie is finished cooking to add to the flavor and because they look impressive!
With this topping, serve in slices about half the size of a regular slice, it is super-rich.
MORE SOUTHERN PIE RECIPES YOU’RE GUESTS WILL LOVE
Sweet Potato Pie
- Preheat an oven to 350⁰F.
- Prepare a 9-inch pie pan by spraying with baking spray.
- Place the pie crust in the pie pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sweet potatoes and butter and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, eggs, vanilla, salt, and spices and mix until well blended.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and place into the oven.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted between the edge and the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Bake sweet potatoes at 425⁰F for 40 to 50 minutes or until a fork or knife is easily inserted into the middle. Allow cooling for 15 minutes before peeling.
- Well-drained unflavored canned yams or sweet potatoes can be used. Warm the canned yams in the microwave before adding the butter.
- Boiled and canned sweet potatoes will result in a wetter filling and will require a longer baking time. You may need to wrap the crust edges in foil to prevent over-browning of the crust.
- Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie – Add 1/4 cup of bourbon for a bourbon sweet potato pie, you may need to bake the pie for a few extra minutes.
- Top with pecans and mini marshmallows during the last 15 minutes of baking for an impressive garnish. Serve this version in very small slices, it’s very rich!