If you are looking for a delicious chocolate treat that’s also a little savory, then Turtle Pretzels will be the perfect solution. This super-simple three-ingredient recipe makes for delicious candies and there’s loads of ways you can tweak the recipe as well.
We love the pretzels topped with Rolos because you get chocolate and caramel. But there are loads of different options and all of them take just a few minutes in the oven to create. Plus you can easily make bigger batches as they store well.
Can you make these with M&Ms?
Definitely, I use red and green M&Ms to make these into a Christmas treat nearer the holiday season. Or you can use any color and enjoy a colorful treat whenever you want.
- Pecan halves
I tend to use pretzel snaps because you can get them at any time of the year. Round pretzels tend to show up in the stores around Christmas and are also a perfect fit for these Rolo Turtles.
How to Make Turtle Pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick foil.
- Place the pretzels on the baking sheet and leave at least 3 inches between each one to give you room to top with the pecans after they have been baked without putting your fingers in other Rolos.
- Put an unwrapped Rolo on top of each pretzel.
- Bake in the oven for 4-5 minutes until the Rolos are softened but not completely melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with a pecan half – press lightly and work quickly before the Rolos cool down.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.
When deciding how many to make at a time, remember you need to add the pecans before the Rolos cool. So create them in batches big enough that you can get around all of them before this happens. You can always make them in two or three batches to get the best results. If the Rolos cool, the chocolate will crack and the pretzel turtles won’t look quite right!
Once they have cooled, you can store them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Could you heat the Rolos in a microwave?
You can microwave up to 10 of these at a time. Add a pretzel with Rolo on them in the microwave and put on high power for 10-15 seconds at a time until you get the chocolates softened but not melted.
Can you use different chocolates?
We love Rolos for these pretzel turtles but you can experiment with different chocolates. Hershey’s Kisses or Hershey’s Hugs would work and even something like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups would make for a tasty alternative.
MORE SMALL SWEET TREATS YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
- 5 ounces pretzels about 50 pretzels
- 10.6 ounces Rolos about 50 Rolos
- 3 ounces pecan halves about 50
- Preheat an oven to 300°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, non-stick foil, or a silicone mat.
- Place the pretzels on the prepared baking sheet, set about 3 inches apart so you have room to top with the pecan after baking without putting your fingers in the other Rolos.
- Top with unwrapped Rolos.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the Rolos are softened but not melted.
- Remove from the oven and quickly top with a pecan half and press lightly.
- Set aside to cool completely before serving or storing.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Only make as many as you can safely top the softened candy with a pecan half before they cool. This will keep the chocolate from cracking when pressing down.
- Pretzel snaps are available year-round and are the ones I use the most. Round pretzels are available at Christmas time and are a perfect fit. You can top with an M&M if you prefer. Green and red M&Ms are great for Christmas time.
- You can microwave up to 10 of these at a time – microwave the pretzels and the Rolos at full power in 10 to 15 seconds intervals until soft, but not melted.