Recipe for Simple Crab Cakes is a basic crab cake recipe perfect for beginner cooks and a great jumping off point for seasoned chefs.
Simple Crab Cakes are great for spreading holiday cheer, ringing in the New Year, as well as serving up a light dinner during summer heat waves. It’s kind of an all-around great dish!
Making crab cakes is fairly simple and generates very little kitchen heat. I like to pair this with my $30 salad for a light summer dinner.
They can be made with canned crab meat, refrigerated fresh crab meat, or fresh meat from crabs you have steamed yourself. I can’t cook live crabs or lobsters, it’s part of my nature. If you can, the crab meat will be perfect for crab cakes.
This crab cake recipe is just a base, feel free to add anything extra you would like bell peppers. I like to add red and green bell peppers whenever I have them on hand.
I do not bake mine because I can never seem to be able to get them to hold together when I take them out of the oven. There is also something in my head that says to me they aren’t cooked all the way through without frying.
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Mustard yellow, spicy, or Dijon (more if you like a stronger flavor)
- 2 large Eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning add more to taste if desired
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onions green onions, or chives
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped bell pepper optional (color is interchangeable too)
- 2 Tablespoon fresh Parsley Leaves finely chopped
- 2 pounds Crab Meat
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup dry plain Bread Crumbs
- Oil for cooking
- In a large bowl add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, and eggs. Mix together until well combined.
- Add onions or chives, bell peppers, if using, and parsley, mix until well blended.
- Add crab and gently mix to combine.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over mixture and mix with hands until just combined.
- Let mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Take out of refrigerator and form into small patties for appetizers, or large patties for dinner.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil to cover bottom of skillet at least 1/4 of an inch.
- Allow oil to get hot.
- Add crab cakes to the hot oil and leave until bottoms start to turn medium brown.
- Very carefully flip crab cakes over and cook until other side is medium brown.
- Remove from skillet and place on paper towels or a draining rack.
- Serve with lemons and tartar sauce or your favorite remoulade.