Recipe for Simple Crab Cakes is a basic crab cake recipe perfect for beginner cooks and a great jumping off point for seasoned chefs.
Simple Crab Cakes are perfect for spreading holiday cheer, ringing in the New Year, as well as serving up a light dinner during summer heat waves. It’s kind of an all-around great dish!
Making crab cakes is fairly simple and generates very little kitchen heat. I like to pair this with my $30 salad.
They can be make with canned crab meat, the refrigerated fresh crab meat, or fresh meat from crabs you have steamed yourself. I can’t do live crabs or lobsters, but I will not judge you if you an do it.
This recipe is just a base, feel free to add anything extra you would like bell peppers. I like to add red and green bell peppers whenever I have them on hand. When I serve them with strawberry mandarin orange salad though, I find the bell pepper addition kind of clashes. That’s just my taste preference though. You may love the combination.
I do not bake mine because I can never seem to be able to get them to hold together when I take them out of the oven. There is also something in my head that says to me they aren’t cooked all the way through without frying. I know that is not the case and it’s all in my head, but seafood isn’t my passion to begin with so I need to make it my way.Print
Base crab cake recipe, starts with pasteurized or canned crab meat and is easily adjusted to suit your own tastes. We like bell peppers and onions in ours.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 Medium crab cakes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Mustard, yellow, spicy, or Dijon (more if you like a stronger flavor)
- 2 large Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (more if you like yours spicier?
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped onions, green onions, or chives
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped bell pepper, optional (color is interchangeable too)
- 2 Tablespoon fresh Parsley Leaves, finely chopped
- 2 pounds Crab Meat
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup dry plain Bread Crumbs
- Oil for cooking
- In a large bowl add mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, and eggs. Mix together until well combined.
- Add onions or chives, bell peppers, if using, and parsley, mix until well blended.
- Add crab and gently mix to combine.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over mixture and mix with hands until just combined.
- Let mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Take out of refrigerator and form into small patties for appetizers, or large patties for dinner.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil to cover bottom of skillet at least 1/4 of an inch.
- Allow oil to get hot.
- Add crab cakes to the hot oil and leave until bottoms start to turn medium brown.
- Very carefully flip crab cakes over and cook until other side is medium brown.
- Remove from skillet and place on paper towels or a draining rack.
- Serve with lemons and tartar sauce or your favorite remoulade.
- Serving Size: 1 crab cake
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 1.9
- Sodium: 600 mg
- Fat: 8 mg
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 11.3 g
- Cholesterol: 74 mg
Keywords: southern, crab, beginner, easy
Other coastal recipes you might like:
Follow Us on Social Media