Last Updated on
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are perfect as an appetizer or paired with a salad for a light and satisfying summer meal.
Mushroom caps are filled with a crab stuffing, topped with garlic wine butter sauce and white cheddar cheese then baked to bubbly perfection.
These are like the appetizer mushrooms you can get at Red Lobster. More crab can be added if you want more of the crab flavor to shine through!
These little bites of heaven would be great served at a DIY wedding reception, Christmas Eve dinners, or even as a Thanksgiving appetizer! They are even inexpensive enough to carry to a tailgate or casual backyard BBQ. They would also be great served as an accompaniment to a nice juicy rib-eye. I have probably done all of the above with them over the years.
Red peppers and onions are simply sauteed in a bit of butter with the stems that have been diced up. No waste!
Add some seasonings, the crab and just enough bread crumbs to hold it all together.
The crab stuffing used here along with the garlic wine butter sauce would be ideal for making a stuffed flounder or shrimp. Honestly, the garlic wine butter sauce would be amazing on just about anything.
My preferred cheese for this recipe is cheddar cheese, but please use whatever cheese is your favorite. I bet mozzarella or gouda would be a great match for these!
I encourage people to always change a recipe to fit their own tastes. If you have leftover white wine, that will be perfect for this recipe. If you are like me and you don’t have an open bottle of white wine hanging out, its OK to use the cheap white cooking wine you find at most grocery stores. With the addition of garlic and butter to the sauce, the wine is just there in the background adding a bit of acidity.
Serve stuffed mushrooms with lemon wedges for those who prefer lemon with their seafood.
More Appetizer Recipes You’ve Gotta Try
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 30 Large Mushrooms gently rubbed clean to remove dirt
- 8 ounces Crab Meat no need for expensive lump crab in this recipe
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 small Onion finely chopped, about 1/2 of a cup
- 1/2 Green Pepper finely chopped, about 1/2 of a cup
- 2 teaspoons Dried Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 3/4 cup Dry Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese optional
- 1 cup Butter divided
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup white wine can substitute with chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces White Cheddar Cheese cut into small squares
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray baking pan with sides with baking spray.
- Gently clean mushroom and remove stems, reserving stems. Place mushroom caps, gill sides up in baking dish.
- Finely chop mushroom stems, you want about 1/2 a cup.
- Add ½ cup butter to a skillet and heat on medium until melted. Add chopped mushroom stems, garlic, onions, and green peppers. Cook until slightly softened. Turn off heat. Add crab meat, parsley, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, and breadcrumbs. Mix well. The mixture may be a little dry, its OK, the mushrooms are going to give off the liquid and the mixture will absorb some of the garlic butter.
- Evenly distribute the mixture between mushroom caps.
- In a separate saucepan, melt ½ cup butter, add white wine and garlic powder. Drizzle over mushroom caps.
- Place in preheated 350 degrees F oven. Bake for 15 minutes, longer if you prefer your mushroom caps more cooked.
- Remove from the oven and cover each mushroom cap with a small square of white cheddar. Put back into the oven and cook another 5 minutes. Keep warm until serving.
- Canned crab meat can be used for this recipe.
- Additional crab can be added.
- Small bottles of cooking wine available in most grocery stores can be used.
DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW US ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS!