Turn leftover pot roast into creamy Roast Beef Salad that’s perfect for sandwich fillings or a fancy cracker spread. Ready in under 5 minutes!
I make a roast with potatoes about once a month just so I can have the beef leftovers for this recipe.
It’s a little bit sweet from the pickle relish and salad dressing so it pairs perfectly with salty crackers. It’s also a perfect filling for a beef salad sandwich like your grandma used to make.
I have also been known to cook an entire roast just for this to serve as an appetizer spread for cocktail parties. People always ask where I bought it.
- Grind or finely mince 2 cups of leftover roast and 1 tablespoon of diced onion and place into mixing bowl. Also, grind or finely mince the sweet pickles now if using as a substitute. (Photo 1)
- Add 1/2 cup of salad dressing, like Miracle Whip, and 1 tablespoon of sweet pickle relish. (Photo 2)
- Mix to combine. Additional salad dressing can be added 1 tablespoon at a time if you want a wetter spread. (Photo 3)
- Taste it then add salt and ground pepper as needed.
Salad Dressing – I prefer mine a little on the sweeter side so I use, Miracle Whip. You can swap this out with mayonnaise. Anytime I use mayonnaise I always add a bit more relish or some sweet pickle juice.
Relish – You can also substitute this with a sweet pickle or two. Dice those up and grind them with the beef and diced onion. You’ll also want to add about a teaspoon of sweet pickle juice when adding the other ingredients.
Tips For Success
- Using a food processor or grinder are the simplest ways to grind your leftover roast.
- If you don’t have a processor or grinder, use a sharp knife to finely chop the beef.
- Add more salad dressing 1 tablespoon at a time if you want it “wetter”.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
I don’t recommend freezing because of the salad dressing, or mayonnaise. Those just don’t freeze well.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGNUP FOR NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS A NEW POST
Roast Beef Salad
- 2 cups leftover roast beef cubed
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup salad dressing i.e. Miracle Whip
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Add the leftover roast and onions to a food processer and pulse 10 to 12 times. Additional processing will result in a finer texture.
- Place the ground mixture into a mixing bowl and add the salad dressing and relish.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste the beef salad and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a sandwich filling or cracker spread.
Mayonnaise with additional pickle relish or sweet pickle juice can be used as a substitute for Miracle Whip.
1 sweet pickle or 2 midget sweet pickles finely minced plus 1 teaspoon of pickle juice can be used as a substitute for sweet pickle relish.
Serve as the filling for a roast beef salad sandwich or an appetizer cracker spread.
Originally Published October 2016.SHARING IS CARING!