Pour Caramel Apple Pie Ice Cream Topping over vanilla ice cream and enjoy a caramel apple sundae. It’s like having apple pie a la mode with a drizzle of caramel.
I prefer to use sweet apples when I make this, but Granny Smith would work just not as sweet perhaps.
I use have used Red Delicious, Gala, Honeycrisp, and Fuji successfully, but Fuji is my favorite. Probably because it is the sweetest.
Walnuts can be replaced with any other nut you like on your sundaes or they can be left out.
They do provide a nice bit of crunch though.
This is best eaten hot to warm and served over ice cream, it creates the perfect marriage of hot and cold.
If you prefer more apples and less caramel sauce, just use more apples or reduce sauce ingredients.
Some apples are firmer than others and require a touch more cooking.
Add a bit of water and continue simmering.
Placing a cover on the simmering sauce will reduce the wait time.
This caramel topping can be used anywhere you would use a fruit topping.
MORE DESSERT RECIPES
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGNUP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
Caramel Apple Ice Cream Sauce
- Melt butter over medium heat in a skillet or wide bottom saucepan.
- Add apples, sugars, water and cinnamon.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until liquid has become a semi-thick liquid and apples are soft. If apples are not soft as the liquid thickens, simply add a little more water and continue cooking.
- Add walnuts and stir to coat with syrup.
- Remove from heat and serve over ice cream.