Caramel Apple Dip is served with sliced apples and crushed peanuts at my house.
Large marshmallows are also delicious dipped in this caramel.
This recipe reminds of me of the cooler days of an early Illinois fall.
This was often found at small festivals and craft fairs that were once popular in small rural towns.
Fat-free sweetened condensed milk can be used, but why?
Let’s face it, there is nothing outside of the apples that are healthy in this recipe.
Caramel apple dip is a decadent pleasure that should not be eaten if calorie or carb counts are an issue.
Margarine is also an acceptable substitute, but for the same reasons listed above, just why?
This is best served from the slower cooker set to the warm setting. This dip will get pretty thick pretty quick without heat.
I serve mine with roasted peanuts that have been run through the food processor. You can always chop them up with a knife.
If you find you want a thinner dip, just add some milk or heavy cream 2 tablespoons at a time and mix well.
This can be made on a stove top, just make sure to use very low heat. Caramel of any kind can turn on you fast.
Even in the slow cooker, this dip needs to be watched, as the corners of the crock can turn dark.
If you catch it quick enough it will not affect the final product, but if you walk away for too long, the whole mess will taste burnt.
Burnt caramel is not pleasant no matter what you do with it.
- 22 ounces Caramels unwrapped, or use caramel bits
- 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk not evaporated
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- Milk skim, 1%, or whole, optional
- Apple slices large marshmallows, for dipping
- Add everything to a slow cooker and set to low.
- Cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes until caramels are melted. Be sure to stir the corners of the crock to avoid burnt areas.
- If a thinner dip is desired, add regular milk 2 tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each addition until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve warm with apples slices, marshmallows, and crushed peanuts.
MORE DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW US ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS!