Cherry Coffee Cake is simple to make as it uses cherry pie filling and is always a welcome morning addition anywhere I take it.
I have been on a cherry recipe kick lately.
Everyone seems to love cherry anything!
Cherry Coffee Cake is no exception to this rule.
I hate to admit it, but we even have this sometimes in the hours between dinner and bedtime.
It goes great with coffee or a glass of milk.
The leftovers are best sent off to work with someone so that it is no longer hanging out at your house.
This is not the Danish type coffee cake made with a yeast dough. It is more like a thin slice of cake with a crumb topping.
Great excuse for eating cake first thing in the morning. Its also best served on a plate with a fork.
Folks might have a hard time holding this one in their hands!
It does not have to be made with cherries though, any pie filling can be used as a replacement.
If you choose to use another flavor, you might want to omit the almond extract in the cake batter.
Vanilla would be a much better flavoring for apple and blueberry. Cinnamon would be a nice touch in the topping for other fruits.
When you spread the fruit pie filling over the batter, make sure you place some fruit near the edges of the pan so that the cake doesn’t rise too much on the outsides and push all of the filling into the middle.
If all of the filling does get pushed into the center of the cake, it will be just fine, but whoever gets an edge piece might be in for a disappointment. Most of the fruit will be confined to the pieces in the middle.
You could add a powdered sugar and milk glaze on top of this coffeecake once it has cooled, but we find that it is sweet enough without a glaze.
They can also be frozen at this point in individual freezer bags. Just pop them into your lunch box for a nice mid-morning snack, sweet mid-afternoon reward or afterschool treat.
- 2 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, melted and divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9 X 13 pan with baking spray, or lightly grease and flour pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Mix with a spoon or hands until crumbly and set crumb mixture aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add remaining flour, remaining sugar, and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Add egg, milk, almond extract, and remaining 1/2 cup of melted butter.
- Mix until well blended and no lumps remain.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Evenly cover batter with cherry pie filling. Other fruit pie filling can be substituted. Additional pie filling can also be used if more fruit is desired.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over pie filling.
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting into serving sized pieces.
Serving Size:3" X 3" Square
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 364 Total Fat: 12.6g Saturated Fat: 7.7g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 121mg Carbohydrates: 59.8g Fiber: 1.3g Sugar: 37.3g Protein: 4g
Other Cherry Recipes to Try:
Follow Us on Social Media