Last Updated on
No-bake desserts don’t get any easier than Cherry Delight Dessert with a dreamy pineapple cream cheese fluff sandwiched between a graham cracker crust and pie filling. It may be called cherry delight, but don’t be fooled, you can easily use blueberry for a blueberry delight.
I’ve been making this recipe at least 6 times a year since receiving it from my sweet mother-in-law 28 years ago. It’s super delicious and loved by everyone that eats it. It takes about 5 minutes to put together and looks impressive.
CHERRY DELIGHT INGREDIENTS
The ingredients for this recipe are pretty simple, 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, 8 ounces of softened cream cheese, 1 cup of confectioners (powdered sugar), 20 ounces of well-drained crushed pineapple, 2 cups of whipped topping, and 2 21-ounces cans of pie filling.
There is no sweetened condensed milk in this recipe. If that’s what you wanted you’ll have better luck searching for a cherry cheese pie. We don’t care for that much lemon so I hardly ever make it. I’d rather have key lime pie to be honest.
HOW TO MAKE CHERRY DELIGHT
Before beginning, make sure your cream cheese is softened and frozen whipped topping has been thawed.
- If you don’t have softened cream cheese, go on and take it out of the refrigerator and the package and allow it to come to room temperature. The fastest way to softened cream cheese is to remove it from the box and the silver wrapper then cutting it into cubes, separate the cream cheese cubes to allow more air to be able to circulate around. 30 minutes is generally all it takes using this method. Please don’t use the microwave or any hot water method for softening the cream cheese for this recipe. This is not a recipe that you are cooking or baking and melted cream cheese will not whip up as fluffy as simply softened cream. Yep, been there, done that.
- If you are using frozen whipped topping, now is the time to make sure that is also softened. You may need to leave it out on the counter without a lid while you are waiting on the cream cheese. You can scoop around the edges of the bowl to remove softened topping.
You can spray your baking pan with baking spray if you want, but there isn’t much chance of this sticking since it’s no-bake.
Drain the pineapple using a mesh strainer. I find it best if I just let it is sit in the strainer over a bowl or in the sink until it’s time to add it to the recipe.
Combine the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter together in a small bowl.
- If you need to make your own graham cracker crumbs, you will need about 2 sleeves of graham cracker sheets. Crush them in a food processor or in a baggie using a rolling pin. You might be a few tablespoons short or over, but it will be fine. Unlike a standard pie crust, a graham cracker crust is a bit more forgiving.
Press the crust into the bottom of the baking pan. I use the bottom of a one cup measuring cup with a flat bottom. Anything with a flat bottom will work, like a drinking glass.
- Baking the crust is totally optional. You will get a sturdier crust with a toasted flavor by baking in a 375⁰F oven for 7 to 10 minutes. I prefer a baked crust, but I don’t do it if I am in a hurry. If you do bake the crust, allow it too cool completely before adding the cream cheese filling to the top.
Beat softened cream cheese until smooth and there are no lumps left. Any lumps in any of the mixture at this point will remain a lump of product in the finished product.
Add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Then add the drained pineapple, mix again.
Fold in the whipped topping. You can use a mixer for this, just don’t beat the daylights out of it.
Add the mixture to the cooled crust and spread out evenly.
Gently spread the pie filling over the pineapple fluff.
Refrigerate until firm.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
PERFECT DESSERT FOR 9 X 13 PAN
This cherry delight is served in a 9 X 13 pan making it the perfect size for BBQs, picnics, holidays and potlucks.
I love using the Pyrex glass cake pan so people can see the layers, but it works in all cake pans, even the disposable ones, that’s what I use for potlucks. No tracking down my cake pan later!
You can also make this into two smaller 8 X 8 pans and give one to the neighbors.
You can make this into a cherry delight pie by using 2 pre-made graham cracker crusts.
CHERRY DELIGHT DESSERT SUBSTITUTIONS
Vanilla wafer or shortbread cookie crumbs can be used for the crust instead of graham cracker crumbs.
2 cups of Dream Whip or homemade whipped cream can be used to substitute the whipped topping.
Blueberry, strawberry, and mixed berry pie fillings are all great on this dessert. Since there are two cans used in this recipe, you could even do half of one kind and half of another.
MORE CHERRY DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Cherry Delight Recipe
- 2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs about 16 full graham crackers finely crushed
- 1 stick Butter melted
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 20- ounce can Crushed Pineapple in juice drained
- 2 cups non-dairy topping thawed
- 2 21- ounce cans Cherry Pie Filling
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Pat into the bottom of 9 X 13 cake pan. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges.
- Let cool.
- Mix cream cheese until smooth, add powdered sugar. Mix in pineapple. Fold in the non-dairy topping. Spread over graham cracker crust.
- Gently pour and spread cherry pie filling over the top. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Baking the graham cracker crust is optional but gives the crust a toastier flavor.
- Vanilla wafers or shortbread cookie crumbs can be used instead of graham cracker crumbs.
- Can be made in 2 8-inch X 8-inch pans, or two premade graham cracker or shortbread pie crusts.
- 2 cups of Dream Whip or homemade whipped cream can be used in place of whipped topping.
- Other pie fillings may be used as a substitute for cherry. Try Blueberry for a blueberry delight.
- Total time provided includes 4 hour refrigeration time.
DON'T FORGET TO FOLLOW US ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA CHANNELS!