Dark Chocolate Cherry Bark is an easy, last minute treat that is perfect for Valentine’s Day. It is also great for any other day you want to give a sweet something as a way to say thanks to someone.
I make a lot of different bark recipes because it is so easy. Peppermint Bark is my go-to quick recipe for last minute Christmas and holiday gifts.
If I don’t happen to have almond bark or melting wafers laying around, I generally have chocolate chips of many varieties in the pantry and those can also be used to make bark.
I can decorate the bark according to the season or holiday. Flavorings are another way to change the flavors of bark. For this recipe I use cherry flavoring, as I believe that chocolate and cherries scream Valentine’s Day.
Cherry flavoring is not a requirement for this recipe. Make it whatever flavor you like! Just start with ¼ of a teaspoon of a different flavor and add more if you think it needs it. 1/2 teaspoon may be way top much of some flavors and 1/2 teaspoon may be lackluster in other flavors. 1/2 teaspoon is just what works for me with cherry.
Do not use extracts if you can help it, sometimes these will make the chocolate seize and that would be a waste of chocolate and no one likes a chocolate waster!
Choose any topping you like. I used some Valentine’s Day sprinkles I found during a shopping excursion. Cherry flavored chocolate covered candies would be a great addition.Print
Dark Chocolate Cherry Bark
Quick and easy recipe for dark chocolate cherry flavored bark. Sweet treat that anyone will love to receive.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 25 pieces
- Category: Candy
- Method: Melting
- Cuisine: Snacks
- 12 ounces dark chocolate melting wafers
- 20 ounces almond bark
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry candy flavoring, I use Lorann Oil
- Spray non-stick aluminum foil, wax paper, or parchment paper with baking spray and set aside.
- Melt dark chocolate by heating over a simmering double-boiler or microwave. Use package direction for microwave directions for whatever chocolate you are using.
- Once melted, pour dark chocolate onto prepared paper and spread thinly.
- Allow chocolate to set and dry completely. It may curl slightly as it cools. It will be fine, it will level back out when next layer is added.
- Melt almond bark, white chocolate chops, or white melting wafers by heating over a simmering double-boiler or microwave. Use package direction for microwave directions for whatever chocolate you are using. One melted, add cherry flavoring and stir until well combined. Taste a small amount of chocolate and add more flavoring if desired.
- Pour melted white chocolate over dark chocolate layer by using small stream and moving over the chocolate, moving too slowly will cause the bottom layer to melt in small craters.
- Spread this layer out as evenly as possible.
- Before chocolate sets, sprinkle with chosen toppings.
- Allow to cool completely. Cut into desired shapes.
Cook time listed includes hardening time.
- Serving Size: 1 Piece
- Calories: 74
Other Candy Recipes: