Italian or French bread is buttered, seasoned, then topped with juicy ripe tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and toasted to perfection. Cheesy Tomato Bread is easy to make and is ready in just 15 minutes.
I love making cheesy tomato bread as an appetizer. It’s super simple to make. Sometimes it takes the oven longer to pre-heat than it does to make the entire recipe.
This can be served right from the cutting board too, making it perfect for informal get-togethers.
The ingredients for this recipe are basic ingredients that are easy to source and may even be something you have hanging round the kitchen.
- Preheat an oven to 375ºF.
- Spray a cookie sheet with baking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Cut the loaf of bread in half, like you’re making a giant sub sandwich.
- Place the bread, cut side up, onto the baking sheet. (Photo 1)
- Spread the softened butter evenly over the cut side of the bread.
- Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt.
- Slice the tomatoes fairly thin and layer on top of the buttered sides of the bread. (Photo 2)
- Cover the tomatoes with the cheese slices touching wach other. (Photo 3)
- Place into the preheated oven and bake until the cheese is melted and tomatoes are hot, about 12 to 15 minutes. (Photo 4) Bake longer if you want your cheese browned.
- Remove from the oven, slice, and serve while still hot.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. After that, the bread will turn soggy.
To reheat allow the bread to come to room temperature and bake in a 325ºF oven until heated through.
I don’t recommend the microwave as it makes the bread chewy as it cools after heating.
MORE QUICK SNACK AND APPETIZER RECIPES
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS ANOTHER POST
Cheesy Tomato Bread
- 1 loaf French Bread sliced in half horizontally
- 4 tablespoon salted butter softened
- Garlic Salt
- 1 to 2 large Tomatoes cored and sliced thin
- 6 to 10 Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread butter evenly over cut side of French bread.
- Sprinkle garlic salt over bread.
- Layer tomato slices over buttered bread.
- Layer mozzarella cheese slices over the tomatoes.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet.
- Place in reheated oven and bake until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve while still hot.
SHARING IS CARING!