Last Updated on
Cheesy Tomato Bread Recipe turns simple ingredients into a delicious appetizer or snack.
Italian or French bread is buttered, seasoned, then topped with juicy ripe tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, then toasted to perfection.
This recipe for Cheesy Tomato bread is easy enough for beginner cooks.
Fresh basil is a great addition during the summer months when both the tomatoes and basil are fresh.
I like to place whole leaves on the tomatoes but under the cheese for a nice presentation.
The juicier the tomatoes are, the better this bread will be. The tomatoes will start to melt into the bread.
This is best served warm right out of the oven before the mozzarella slices have a chance to solidify again.
I like to take mine out of the oven before the cheese has had a chance to turn brown.
That is all part of personal preference though, if you like your cheese on the darker side, just leave it in the oven for a few more minutes.
Your bread will also become a bit crustier. It is delicious either way.
Italian seasoning can be added on top of the tomatoes prior to the cheese for n additional layer of flavor, I am kind of a purist when it comes to my tomato bread.
If I don’t have any fresh basil I grew myself handy, I just go with the garlic salt.
Cheesy Tomato Bread
- 1 loaf French Bread sliced in half horizontally
- 4 tablespoon salted butter softened
- Garlic Salt
- 1 to 2 large Tomatoes cored and sliced thin
- 6 to 10 Mozzarella Cheese Slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread butter evenly over cut side of French bread.
- Sprinkle garlic salt over bread.
- Layer tomato slices over buttered bread.
- Layer mozzarella cheese slices over the tomatoes.
- Place bread on a large baking sheet.
- Place in reheated oven and bake until cheese is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve while still hot.