Recipe for Fluffy Maple Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes – A delicious pancake recipe that features maple syrup, vanilla, and buttermilk.
Fluffy Maple Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes are a favorite weekend recipe at our house. It brings back so many memories.
Growing up, I vividly remember waking up on Saturday mornings, during my teenage years, when I was with my mom. The sun would be beaming through my room as the sun came up and I could smell the deliciousness my mom was whipping up in the kitchen.
These memories are probably my most vivid from my teenage years besides the trouble I got in. To this day, Saturday breakfast is a ritual. I get up, put on some warm clothes, and head to the kitchen and start with making a pot of coffee and frying bacon.
This recipe isn’t my mother’s recipe, but it is one my wife and I have been fiddling with for the past few years. It’s over the top good and does well as a dinner option too.
If you head to my mom’s on a Saturday now you aren’t likely to find a big breakfast spread these days. But she might make you an Egg Bagel Sandwich if you asked nicely. I suggest waiting until after she has had her coffee though!
Don’t be offended if it comes out of the freezer or refrigerator, this is her version of breakfast meal-prep.
Fluffy Maple Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes
A delicious pancake recipe that features maple syrup, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 pancakes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp maple syrup, use the real stuff
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp. melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix with a whisk.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs, butter, and extract
- Mix until the batter comes together. I don’t worry too much about getting every single lump out. Mixing too much will create tough pancakes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray (I use the butter flavored kind)
- Add a portion of the batter to the skillet and over medium heat until the edge of the pancakes starts to look a little dry and wrinkly. This might take you a pan cake or too to figure out when to flip. You can always use your spatula to peak under the pancakes.
- Then flip and finish cooking on the remaining side until it is golden and delicious looking.
- Remove from the pan and start the pancake cooking process over again until you have no more batter.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 438
- Sugar: 19.5 g
- Sodium: 948 mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 9.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 60.3 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 10.8 g
- Cholesterol: 106 mg
The quality of the vanilla and maple syrup do matter in Fluffy Maple Vanilla Buttermilk Pancakes. Vanilla and Maple are both part of the name for crying out loud.
Use a good vanilla or vanilla bean paste.
Also, use real fricken maple syrup. The stuff you buy in the bottle that is shaped like lady is NOT maple syrup. That junk is high-fructose corn syrup with maple flavoring.
I’m dead serious. Look at the back of the bottle and no where will you see “maple syrup.” Throw that “lady” in the garbage and go to your local hippie grocery store and buy yourself some grade B maple syrup.
I know some folks are saying, “that crap’s expensive!!” I can’t disagree there, but a decent size container will last you long time. You don’t need to use as much as it actually has real flavor! In our house, we normally add about a 1/4 cup to a small ceramic pouring container (it’s in the photo above) and heat it in the microwave. We eat as much as we want and then pour it back into the original container.
We don’t waste what we don’t use. Also, keep this stuff in the fridge for optimum shelf life. You might actually find out it is cheaper in the long run.
Other Breakfast ideas
Follow Us on Social Media