Recipe for Mississippi Coast Toast, and orange flavored custard type French Toast. Perfect for lazy weekends and special breakfasts.
Toast coast is a custard type french toast that is soaked overnight and baked the next morning.
The weirdest ingredient in this recipe is orange juice and orange flavoring.
Trust me, I know that adding orange juice to your french toast seems weird, but it really does add another layer of flavor to one of my breakfast meals.
My biggest issue with the original recipe is that it is kind of a pain in the ass to cook.
Rarely am I thinking the night before about breakfast and I rarely want to let things rest for an hour or longer before cooking it.
I also don’t like cooking with things like “orange flavoring”.
My version is geared more towards the southern home with ingredients usually found at home, hence the name Mississippi Coast French Toast.
For my version, you just need eggs, milk, butter, vanilla extract, orange juice, and standard white bread.
This recipe can be as rustic or as elegant as you’d like it to be.
Cook it with normal white bread for a quick simple breakfast.
Or you can serve it more elegantly by making it with french bread. Let the bread rest for 10-15 minutes and then cook as normal.
Serve it along with Mimosas and you have yourself a pretty sexy brunch option.
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp. real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 15 slices of white or wheat bread, the normal thin stuff
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix all of the ingredients minus the bread and butter.
- 2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place about a ¼ of the butter in the pan and melt.
- 3. Dip the bread slices into the custard mixture.
- 4. Place in the pan and brown both sides.
- 5. Repeat the dipping and browning until all of the gulf coast toast is finished.
- 6. Plate and serve with maple syrup.
Serving Size:2 slices
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 250 Total Fat: 8.5g Saturated Fat: 3.8g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 525mg Carbohydrates: 31.4g Fiber: 4.1g Sugar: 9.2g Protein: 12.2g