Better Than Sex Cake is a super easy recipe for a rich and creamy chocolate cake soaked in a caramel sauce and topped with whipped topping and crunchy toffee pieces.
Everyone loves this cake recipe and I’ve been proudly serving it since the mid-90s. A co-worker brought this rich and creamy treat to a company potluck and everyone raved about it and of course, people freely shared recipes back then!
Better than anything cake is more politically correct and family-friendly, go with that name if you need to. Might be more appropriately named for a Sunday church social………
It’s hard to believe something so divine is really so simple to make.
Gather up your ingredients. You’ll need a chocolate cake recipe and all the ingredients for that cake. A box mix works perfectly well right here, and it’s what I use. The box I used today needed 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of oil and 3 large eggs. Check the box for ingredients though to make sure they are the same.
You’ll also need a 12 to 14-ounce jar of caramel ice cream topping, 8 ounces of thawed whipped topping, and about 4 ounces of Health bits.
Make the chocolate cake in a 9 X 13 pan according to the package directions or recipe for homemade.
Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a minute or two. Poke the cake all over with the fat end of a chopstick. A fork can also be used, just be careful not to push so hard and fast that you smash the cake. Ask me how to mangle a cake, I’ve got plenty of experience.
While the chocolate cake is cooling, open up the caramel topping and set about 1/4 cup aside for drizzling over the final topping. Make the caramel sauce by combining one 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated) and the remaining caramel ice cream topping in a small mixing bowl.
Alternatively, you can drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the cake first, allow it to absorb, then cover with the caramel sauce. It will save a dish, but I think it tastes better when mixed together.
Slowly and evenly pour the sauce over the cake. The caramel sauce will start to soak into the cake if you pour it slowly, going too quickly will cause the sauce to run to the outside of the cake. Go back over the cake until you have used all of the sauce.
Place the cake into the refrigerator and allow it to cool completely. It will take about an hour.
Once cooled, cover with whipped topping, toffee bits and drizzle with caramel sauce. You can add chocolate drizzle too if you want. Extra chocolate never hurt anything.
Like we already discussed earlier, the name can be substituted with Better Than Anything Cake or even a Health Bar Cake. No matter what you call it, this cake recipe will be loved.
Homemade whipped cream or Dream Whip can be used in place of the whipped topping. 3 to 4 cups should be enough to cover the cake. You can add as much whipped cream or topping as you want, so if you have more go ahead and use it.
Homemade caramel sauce can be used in place of caramel ice cream topping. You will need about a cup for the caramel sauce and another 2 to 4 tablespoons for drizzling over the finished product if desired. Taste of Home has a simple caramel sauce recipe if you want to take your hand at it!
Health bits are super convenient. You can buy them in the chocolate chip aisle these days. I use the ones with chocolate, but you can easily use the brickle bits and even Heath candy bars that have been crushed into small pieces. About a cup will do.
Caramel drizzle is totally optional. You can skip it, substitute it with a chocolate drizzle, and even use a little bit of both. It’s your cake! Use whatever you think you would like the best.
Store this cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I like to keep it covered so that the whipped topping doesn’t deflate.
The longer the cake sits, the more liquid will escape into the bottom of the pan. The cake will still taste ok, it will just be a little soggy on the bottom.
MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES YOU DON’T WANT TO MISS
Dump Cake with Cherry and Pineapple
FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
Better Than Sex Cake Recipe
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs large
- 15 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 to 14 ounces caramel ice cream topping
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping or 3 cups of whipped cream or Dream Whip
- 4 ounces toffee bits
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix according to package directions. Individual box directions and ingredients may vary, so check the box before beginning.
- Bake the cake according to package direction. The brand I use takes 38 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven when it is done.
- Allow the cake to cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour about 4 tablespoons of caramel topping into a bowl and reserve for later.
- Combine remaining caramel topping [about 1 cup] with the sweetened condensed milk [14 ounces].
- Poke holes evenly in the cake using the large end of a chopstick, thin wooden spoon, or a fork.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping mixture evenly over the cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for one hour or until completely cooled.
- Top with whipped topping and toffee pieces and additional caramel topping if desired.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- 1 cup of homemade caramel topping can be substituted.
- Whipped Topping can be substituted with 3 cups of homemade whipped cream or prepared Dream whip.
- Toffe Bits can be chocolate covered or plain. 4 ounces of Heath bars can be used after crushing.
- Nutritional Data is an estimate. Data will vary based on brands and amounts used.
Leave a Reply