Chocolate dump cake is a heavenly dessert made with just 4 simple ingredients. Chocolate cake mix, chocolate frosting, milk, and chocolate chips come together in just around 30 minutes making it perfect for ending weeknight meals.
This cake is so easy to make and if you have a chocolate cake mix in the house chances are you already have a can of chocolate or fudge frosting too.
The frosting is used in the cake rather than on top so the cake turns out super chocolaty and a little fudgy. Almost like a brownie.
It’s perfect for serving with ice cream.
You can substitute the chocolate frosting in this recipe with a small package of instant chocolate pudding.
What’s the Best Cake Mix for Chocolate Dump Cake?
Any chocolate cake mix will work with this recipe. My favorite is dark chocolate or a triple fudge cake.
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Chips, although these are totally optional
How To Make Chocolate Dump Cake
- Preheat an oven to 350°F and grease a 9 X 13 pan or spray it with baking spray.
- Heat the frosting in a microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds or just until it’s melted.
- Combine the melted frosting with the milk and stir to combine.
- Put the cake mix into a large bowl and combine with the frosting and milk mixture and stir just until combined.
- Put the batter into the prepared baking pan and level it out evenly.
- Top with chocolate chips, if using, then bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
I love serving this cake with a scoop of ice cream.
To make it even more special I add a chocolate or caramel drizzle, chopped pecans, and some mini chocolate chips.
Of course, everything is better with whipped cream and a cherry on top!
MORE EASY SOUTHERN CAKE RECIPES
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup chocolate frosting
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips optional
- Prepare a 9 X 13 pan by lightly coating with solid shortening or spraying with baking spray.
- Place the cake mix into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the frosting into a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir and heat for another 15 to 30 seconds or until the frosting is completely melted.
- Add the milk to the melted frosting and stir until combined. It will look like chocolate milk.
- Add the frosting milk mixture to the cake mix and stir until combined.
- Add the batter to the prepared cake pan and bake for 30 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool.
- Serve with ice cream or top with whipped cream.
- My favorite cake mix is chocolate fudge or triple chocolate.
- My favorite frosting is chocolate fudge.
- If you would like a frosting on the cake, melt the remaining frosting in the microwave and pour it over the top of the cake.
- Chocolate chips are optional. I like milk chocolate chips, but you can use your favorite flavor.
- Leftovers can be stored, lightly covered, at room temperature.