Last Updated on
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are quick and easy to make. 4 simple ingredients meet up to make a tasty and addictive treat. Naturally gluten-free! Perfect for bake sales and after-school snacks.
IS IT RICE KRISPIE TREATS OR RICE CRISPY TREATS?
The only difference between Rice Krispie Treats and Rice Crispy Treats is the brand of crispy rice cereal used for making these.
I have used generic cereal and name brand. Both have been successful and well received. I buy the jumbo bags without a box any time I am making these for a bake sale or fundraiser.
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS
BUTTER OR MARGARINE
I prefer the taste of real butter when I make plain Rice Krispie treats. When it comes to the peanut butter version, there isn’t much of a taste difference, so go ahead and use margarine.
My recipe also uses a bit more butter than others. I do this because it is a little easier to stir and also keeps my peanut butter Rice Krispie treats more pliable when they cool.
Mini marshmallows will melt quicker than large. I prefer the larger marshmallows because they are covered in less powdered sugar and cornstarch. I get a rice crispy treat that is easier to pull apart this way.
My absolute favorite marshmallows are the giant jumbo size campfire ones. Those weight about 1 ounce each! I only need to count out 10 of them.
You’ll need about 40 regular size marshmallows or about 5 cups of mini marshmallows. If your bag has 10.5 ounces in it, it will be fine to use all of the marshmallows.
I have never used marshmallow fluff for this recipe so I do not have the appropriate measurement suggestions. I reserve the fluff for other recipes like peanut butter fudge.
Peanut butter is a prominent flavor in this recipe, use whichever brand you like the best. My favorite brand is usually the one on sale. Hahahaha!
I do prefer smooth peanut butter for Rice Krispie treats. I think there is already enough crunch from the cereal itself. If crunchy peanut butter is all you have on hand, go ahead and use it! I have been in that situation before, they still taste amazing.
If you are feeling super adventurous you could even make your own. We even have a peanut butter recipe if you need one!
PEANUT BUTTER RICE CRISPY TREATS WITH CHOCOLATE
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats with a chocolate topping are easy to make! Just add melted chocolate chips to the top.
I prefer a simple chocolate drizzle because I think too much chocolate masks the peanut butter flavor.
To make a chocolate drizzle, melt chocolate chips in the microwave just until melted. Stir well to make sure there aren’t any little pieces of chips left.
Use a piping bag or a baggie with the corner snipped off to add as much or as little chocolate as desired.
TIPS FOR RICE KRISPIE TREATS SUCCESS
- Use the freshest marshmallows available. Stale marshmallows have lost some moisture.
- Use a gentle heat when melting that marshmallows, overcooking will result in hard Rice Krispie treats. Only use low heat and only until the marshmallows have melted.
- After the marshmallows have melted, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a minute or so before adding the peanut butter. Adding peanut butter too soon could cause the mixture to seize.
- When adding the cereal only stir until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Use a buttered spatula, or buttered hands, to lightly press the mixture into a pan coated in butter or baking spray. I tend to spray my hands with cooking spray or rub a small pat of butter between my hands. Use dish soap to remove the residue from your hands when done.
- When making Rice Crispy Treats try not to pack down the wet cereal mix too much. If you hear them crunching or popping you are pressing too hard. Compressing the mixture too much will make the finished product hard.
- Wait until they are completely cooled before cutting into desired shapes.
- Make two separate batches rather than trying to make a double batch. It’s hard to stir and combine well with that much in a pan.
- If using chocolate on top, allow the chocolate to completely harden before cutting or bagging.
HOW TO STORE PEANUT BUTTER RICE CRISPY TREATS
Rice Krispie treats can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days before they start going stale.
I wrap each treat separately and then store in a plastic baggie. A super quick method for wrapping individual treats is to use fold top sandwich baggies before placing into a larger bag.
SOME OF OUR FAVORITE PEANUT BUTTER RECIPES
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- Coat a 9 X 13 baking dish with butter or baking spray and set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray. Add the butter to the saucepan and melt over low heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and continue to cook over low heat stirring frequently until the marshmallows have melted. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for a minute to cool slightly.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until well combined with the melted marshmallows.
- Remove from the heat and stir until all of the cereal pieces are coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Place the warm mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Lightly butter hands or spray hands with baking spray and press the cereal mixture into the pan, being careful not to press to hard.
- Set aside to cool completely before cutting.
- Melted milk chocolate chips can be added to the top of the treats. Allow the chocolate to set back up before cutting, or drizzle with chocolate after cutting.