It seems to us that anything with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese is well loved by darn near everyone.
It really does remove some of the worries about who will eat what.
Few, if any, people leave our house looking for the nearest fast-food joint on the way home.
This recipe uses our versatile yeast dough.
Mozzarella cheese sticks are just the right size for Pepperoni Rolls.
Shredded mozzarella can be substituted, but you may find that it bakes right into the dough rather than leaving a nice cheesy middle.
Cutting the pepperoni into half slices prior to rolling makes it easier to form uniform sized rolls.
It also keeps the pepperoni from blowing out the sides during baking.
If pepperoni pizza sticks are being made at the same time as sausage rolls, I put a bit of shredded mozzarella onto the tops of the pepperoni as soon they are removed from the oven for easier identification later.
Pepperoni Rolls Leftovers
Leftovers can be frozen, but I find that they are better if I freeze them before they have been allowed to rise after rolling.
Allow the pizza sticks to sit in a warm spot of the kitchen until thawed and the dough has become a bit puffier. This might take 2 to 3 hours.
Once the pizza sticks have thawed and risen they are ready to bake as directed.
Italian Sausage that has been pre-cooked can be used in place of pepperoni slices.
Any other fillings you choose to add to the center of these pizza sticks will need to be cooked and cooled prior to stuffing.
Pizza stick filling should not be too cold or too hot. Room temperature is where I like my filling to be so that I avoid shocking or cooking the dough.
Pepperoni Mozarella Rolls
- 4 tablespoons butter melted and cooled slightly, divided
- 1 cup milk heated to 110 to 115 Degrees F
- 1 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water heated to 110 to 115 Degrees F
- 2 large eggs divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 20 1- ounce mozzarella cheese sticks
- 20 ounces Pepperoni Slices cut in half
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese optional for topping after baking
- Melt butter in a microwave or over low heat on the stovetop until just melted, set aside and allow to cool.
- Heat milk now so it has time to cool if it has been overheated. The milk needs to be 105 degrees F to 115 degrees F when added to the rest of the dough ingredients.
- Mix water with yeast in a small bowl.
- Add a couple of pinches of sugar from the ¼ cup sugar to the yeast and water mixture.
- Mix well and set aside to allow to bloom for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the yeast has bloomed, add yeast, remaining sugar, eggs, milk and melted butter to a mixing bowl and mix well. Dough hook or paddle can be used.
- Add 1 cups of flour, mix well.
- Add kosher salt, mix well.
- Add additional 2 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Finish with last 1/2 cup.
- The dough should form a ball but should be slightly sticking to the bowl in one or two spots.
- Add additional flour as needed to achieve slight sticking. The amount needed will depend on the weather and indoor humidity.
- Oil a large bowl.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl and place into an oiled bowl.
- Turn dough in the bowl to cover all exposed dough with oil.
- Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Alternatively, plastic wrap can be loosely placed over the bowl.
- Set dough aside in warm place for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, deflate the dough and recover.
- Allow dough to sit in warm place for an additional 2 hours or place in refrigerator for up to 18 hours.
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with baking spray or lining with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to
- Remove mozzarella sticks from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before wrapping. Remove the wrapper from the cheese sticks and place them on a paper towel and roll them over the paper towel to remove the moisture.
- Remove the pepperoni from the refrigerator, slice the slices in half. Stacking 10 or so pepperoni slices at time speeds this process up.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle roughly 12 inches by 20 inches.
- Cut dough in half long ways, leaving 2 5-inch by 20-inch pieces. Cut each half into 10 pieces. Your pieces should be approximately 5 inches by 2 inches.
- Place one mozzarella stick along a long side of a piece of dough. Add 1 ounce of pepperoni slices, depending on the thickness of your pepperoni I find that 10 to 14 half slices are plenty. Spread the pepperoni evenly along side the cheese stick, cut side towards the dough.
- Start rolling the pepperoni and cheese in the dough. Once completely covered in dough, pinch the dough together at the seam and the ends.
- Gently roll the completed pepperoni roll on the work surface to even out the roll.
- Place rolls on to the prepared baking sheet. Set aside for 1 to 2 hours or until the rolls have slightly risen one last time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F while rolls are rising.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush on top of rolls.
- Place rolls into the preheated oven and bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese if desired. The cheese should melt without additional baking. If browned cheese is preferred, place rolls back into the oven until the cheese has browned, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with pizza sauce or marinara for dipping.
SHARING IS CARING!