Soft and chewy sprinkle cookies are a fun addition to any cookie tray. Easy to make and beautiful to look at.
These sprinkle cookies remind me of the rainbow sprinkle polvorones found at the local Mexican Bakery around the corner. Except these have sprinkles all the way around and not just on the top!
This recipe is also a tad bit sweeter and chewier than polvorones found at panaderías. I love all of the treats from a Mexican bakery, but I have to admit I am overwhelmed by all the choices when I go.
Have you ever been to a Mexican bakery? If you haven’t, it is an experience
I encourage to try if you ever find yourself near one. If you have been to one, leave a comment to let us know which part of the country it is in and what your favorite treat is!
My favorite treat is probably ALL OF THEM!
Our recipe for sprinkle cookies starts with a snickerdoodle cookie dough.
Using a snickerdoodle base means that there is cream of tartar in this recipe.
Cream of tartar provides the chewiness and it brings a tartness to the cookie which helps balance out the sweetness of the nonpareils.
Nonpareils come in an assortment of seasonal colors, changing the colors makes this cookie an all-seasons mainstay.
One could easily make these cookies in NCAA and NFL colors for tailgating.
Even if you have a “house divided” you could easily cookies in both team colors without much trouble.
The only change you would need to make would be half in one color and the other half in a different color.
Since nonpareils are simply colored sugar balls without flavoring, it is only your imagination that can possibly limit the uses for this cookie.
In order to get an even coating of nonpareils around the entire cookie, I find it best to slightly flatten each ball into a disk shape prior to coating with nonpareils.
After coating each disk, I like to press them lightly into the bowl of nonpareils to make sure that there are no naked spots.
The dough will puff up slightly and any bare spots will become large areas without sprinkles.
Since this is really just a snickerdoodle recipe, make a double batch of dough and make yourself 2 kinds of cookies at once.
It’s just a matter of rolling your cookie dough in cinnamon sugar rather than nonpareils.
Chewy Sprinkle Cookies
Soft & Chewy Sprinkle Cookies – change colors with the seasons and your mood!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 48 Cookies
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 5 ounces nonpareils
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl between eggs.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, and baking soda.
- Add this mixture to the butter mixture and blend just until combined. Over mixing makes cookies tough.
- Place nonpareils in a bowl.
- Form cookies into balls and slightly flatten balls into small disks.
- Roll dough disks in nonpareils and lightly press both ends into nonpareils.
- Place on baking sheet about 3 inches apart.
- Bake cookies at 400 Degrees F for 8 to 12 minutes or until cookies have spread are puffed slightly and do not look wet. You should be able to see some of the cookie dough between nonpareils.
- Remove from oven.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the baking sheet and place onto a cooling rack.
- Allow cookies to cool completely before stacking or placing into containers. Any heat left may cause steam and the colors from the nonpareils will stain the other cookies.
Caution – May stain your tongue, lips, and fingers.
Cream of tartar is optional if you do not like the tartness. Cookies will not be as soft.
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie
- Calories: 87
- Sugar: 6.3 g
- Sodium: 57 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.9 g
- Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: holiday cookies, rainbow cookies, sprinkle cookies
Other Must-Try Sweet Treats