Cheddar Quick Bread is an easy, cheesy no-yeast bread made from scratch! Covered in a garlic herb butter, it’s like the famous Red Lobster biscuits in one savory loaf.
Homemade bread is the best gift made with love. This Cheddar Quick Bread is a simple and savory family favorite!
There’s no yeast in this savory quick bread! It’s loaded with cheddar cheese and topped with a garlic herb butter once it’s baked. This cheddar bread tastes like Red Lobster biscuits and is perfect for serving with soups, salads, and main dishes.
If you love this no-yeast cheddar bread, you’ll LOVE this no-yeast pizza dough!
What Does Quick Bread Mean?
Homemade cheddar bread is the BEST, but sometimes you don’t have all day to wait for your dough to rise. That’s why I love quick breads!
Bread dough needs something to make it rise, and often that’s yeast. But for quick breads, you use another leavening agent, like baking soda or baking powder, which will rise more as it bakes.
In short, quick breads are just as fluffy but need far less time to make! This cheddar quick bread recipe is fast enough for a weeknight dinner!
This is a basic shopping list for the best quick cheddar bread, but the full list of ingredients is in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Baking powder
- Garlic powder
- Cheddar cheese
Buttermilk can be substituted with regular milk, but I prefer the tang of buttermilk.
Sometimes I add a handful of crispy bacon and a couple sliced green onions to the batter. It’s similar to bacon green onion scones but so much easier!
What Is the Best Cheese for Bread?
Savory quick breads are an easy weeknight dinner option instead of those frozen dinner rolls.
For this quick bread recipe, I recommend sharp cheddar cheese. It gives the bread a creamy texture but there’s no missing that sharp flavor!
If you’re not a fan of sharp, mild or medium cheddar cheese works too! You can even try an extra sharp white cheddar!
You can use other hard cheeses too, like colby, gouda, or pepper jack cheese, but I don’t recommend using soft cheeses as they melt immediately and make the bread too wet.
How to Make Cheddar Quick Bread
I’ve got some tips and tricks to make the perfect savory quick bread every time! For the full list of instructions, check out the recipe card at the end of this post!
- First, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Then, add the cheddar cheese and mix until it’s evenly dispersed in the dry ingredients.
- Next, mix together the milk, egg, and melted butter, and add it to the dry ingredients. Be careful not to over mix! Stir until everything is just combined.
- Now, pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake until a skewer poked in the middle comes out perfectly clean. No raw bread here!
- For the topping, mix some melted butter with a little garlic powder and parsley and brush over the hot loaf. Let it cool a few minutes before removing the quick bread from the pan.
You can wrap up any leftovers and store this Cheddar Quick Bread at room temperature for a few days. You can also refrigerate or freeze it, but the refrigerator will change the texture within 24 hours.
Allow the bread to cool completely before storing, and let it thaw through before serving from the freezer.
Try warming slices of this bread in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds and it’ll taste almost as fresh as the day you made it!
What to Serve with Cheddar Quick Bread
I could eat this no-yeast cheddar bread like it’s a full meal, but it’s also a great complement to so many savory main dishes!
This bread is just as comforting as my slow cooker beef stew, and I make them together a LOT. While my Crockpot does the heavy lifting, I can mix together this cheese bread without yeast on my own time.
Everyone loves a classic pot roast recipe with carrots and potatoes. You can even use this savory bread to soak up some of those delicious juices. Just saying.
Loaded baked potato soup just NEEDS bread on the side for dipping, right? This one’s a great choice. You can also make the almost-stale leftovers into AMAZING croutons for any soup!
More Easy Bread Recipes
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SHARE THIS RECIPE
SIGN UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS AND NEVER MISS AN UPDATE
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat an oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9 X 5 loaf pan by coating with baking spray or lightly greasing.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the cheddar cheese and mix until the cheese is evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk, egg, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Place the batter into the prepared loaf pan, place it into the preheated oven, and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife or skewer placed into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and mix with 1 teaspoon of dry parsley and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and brush over the hot bread.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
1/4 cup of crumbled bacon and 1 to 2 sliced green onions can be added for even more flavor.